These corn fritters use fresh, whole kernels, mixed with spices, scallions, and a simple batter.
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed (about 1 pound)
- ¼ cup chopped scallion greens
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar, shredded
- Vegetable oil, coconut oil or shortening, for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and ground cayenne. Whisk in the flour and baking powder until just combined. Stir in the corn, scallions, and Cheddar.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-low and add enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Once the oil is shimmering hot, add a heaping tablespoon of the batter to the skillet. Use the back of the spoon to flatten it into a round patty. Repeat to fry 3 to 4 fritters at once. Fry on each side until golden, about 2 minutes, then cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add more oil as needed.
- Remove from the skillet and transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all fritters are fried. Serve warm or at room temperature.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?