> Apps, Dips, and Sauces
> Veggie Croquettes
Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and FULL of veggies.
- One 1.5lb bag The Little Potato Company’s Baby Boomers
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk (almond, soy, etc.)
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, finely sliced
- 2 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup baby spinach (lightly packed), finely chopped
- 1/8 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2–3 tsp vegetable oil
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1.5 cups whole wheat or white panko bread crumbs
- Boil potatoes for approx. 18 minutes, until they feel tender when poked with a fork. Drain potatoes and mash with 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk, 2 tsp vegan butter, and 3/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
- Heat 2-3 tsp vegan butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add garlic, onion, carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and green onion. Sauté until tender. Season with a pinch of salt (about 1/8-1/4 tsp).
- Mash vegetables into potato mixture. Refrigerate mixture until cool enough to handle.
Forming and Breading Patties
- Measure out approx. 2 tbsp of potato mixture, roll it into a ball and flatten into a 3/4″ patty. Arrange patties on parchment paper. Makes 14-18 patties. Chill or freeze so that patties are firm before breading.
- Gather 3 bowls or shallow dishes. Fill the first with 1/2 cup flour, the second with a well-blended mixture of unsweetened plant milk, cornstarch and salt, and the third with panko bread crumbs.
- Dip each patty briefly into flour, followed by the cornstarch thickened milk, and then the bread crumbs. Firmly press the bread crumbs into the patties.
Frying or Baking the Croquettes
- Frying: Heat 1/2″ of oil over medium heat. Once oil is evenly hot, fry patties in batches of 1-5 (depending on size of oil vat), flipping after about 1-1 1/2 minutes. Each patty should be golden-brown and fully heated within 2 1/2-3 minutes.
- Notes: Overheating will cause the potato filling to spill out. Make sure oil is hot enough to sufficiently brown the patties in 3 minutes or less or the filling may spill out.
- Baking: Preheat oven to 450F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Baked breaded croquettes for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?