Apple Turnovers with Cheddar Crust
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
This tasty treat is the perfect combination of sweet and savory satisfaction! With sweet pink lady apples and salty sharp cheddar, these turnovers are a great breakfast or afternoon snack option.
For the All-Cheddar Pastry
1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
5 ounces of sharp white cheddar, grated
6 tablespoons of cold water
For the Apple Filling
3 small pink lady apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1. To make the all-cheddar pastry dough, combine the flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add in the grated cheddar and pulse 3 or so times to just incorporate. Evenly pour the water on top. Continue to pulse, in short bursts, until the dough is evenly curdy and crumbly.
2. Lay a big piece of plastic wrap on a clean surface. Dump the dough onto it, then form into a square. Wrap with the plastic wrap, then press down gently so it tightly fills the plastic wrap.
3. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
4. When you're ready to make the turnovers, heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment or a silicone mat.
5. Combine the prepped apples, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Hold off on the flour for now, so the sugar has a chance to draw out the apples' juices.
6. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into 4 even pieces. Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll each dough square into a 6 by 6 inch square.
7. Add the flour into the apple mixture and toss to combine. Divide the apple mixture evenly among the dough squares. The apples should be focused in the center, but forming a diagonal line instead of a large mound.
8. Close each turnover from corner to corner. Crimp the edges of each with a fork. Use a small, sharp knife to cut 2 or 3 slits in the top of each.
9. Transfer the turnovers to a prepared baking pan. Bake for 28 to 32 minutes, until the tops and bottoms are deeply browned.
No public reviews yet! Will you be the first?