In this recipe, the typical white mulled wine is amped with pear brandy, honey, and cinnamon. The sweet, juicy Asian pear garish makes for a delicious treat once you’ve taken your last sip. Yummmmm...
- 1 750 ml bottle dry or off-dry white wine (preferably Riesling or Grüner Veltliner)
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 1/4-inch slices fresh ginger
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 to 4 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1/4 cup pear brandy (Poire William)
- 1 Asian pear
1. Put the wine in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan with the star anise, ginger, cardamom, cloves, and honey (start with 3 tablespoons and adjust later if necessary). Set the pan over medium heat and bring just to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and let the wine mull for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Taste the wine and add more honey if you’d like. Gently reheat the wine until it starts to steam, then turn off the heat and stir in the brandy. Divide among 4 mugs or heatproof glasses, putting a few of the spices in each glass if you’d like, and add a slice of Asian pear. Toddy away!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?