0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
These bell peppers are the perfect veggie vessel for a twist on a classic. This recipe is sure to satisfy your craving for lasagna, while also helping you increase your veggie intake. Topped with a layer of bubbly cheese, who could say no to this delicious dish?
4 lasagna noodles
4 large bell peppers, halved, and seeds and veins removed
19 ounces mild Italian sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Cut each noodle into 4 equal pieces.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil; place bell pepper halves on top.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until peppers soften, about 20 minutes.
4. While peppers bake, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage and onion until browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes more.
5. Remove peppers from the oven and pour off any excess liquid. Leave the oven on.
6. Whisk ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and basil together in a small mixing bowl. Layer each bell pepper half with 2 tablespoons of the sausage mixture, 1 noodle piece, and 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture. Repeat layers and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of each pepper. Place stuffed peppers on the baking sheet.
7. Bake stuffed peppers in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?