If you love citrusy flavors then you'll love this lemon ricotta pasta recipe. Not only does it feature a zesty lemony flavor but also the creaminess of ricotta cheese and the tanginess of spinach. It's simple, it's healthy, and it's calling your name!
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 8oz fresh baby spinach, washed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
- 3 lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pressed
1 salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Meanwhile, make the ricotta sauce.
2. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with 1/4 tsp of salt and a good pinch of pepper.
3. Stir until well combined, taste and make sure you're happy with the seasoning.
4. In the last minute of the pasta's cooking time, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then add spinach to the pot. Stir well and push the leaves down to submerge them in water.
5. After 1 minute, drain and return pasta and spinach to the same pot.
6. Add the ricotta sauce and part of the reserved cooking water. Stir well to evenly coat the pasta in the sauce, add more cooking water as needed, you want a smooth and creamy texture.
7. Serve immediately and garnish with grated or shaved parmesan cheese, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and lemon wedges if desired. You can also add a good pinch of red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
November 27, 2021
I have made this several times and love it. I add extra lemon, both zest and juice along with more garlic.