Potato Garlic Scape Soup1
1 made it | 1 review | 0 photos
Now that fresh garlic scapes from Kubecka Farms in Kirkville are in season, this fresh and flavorful soup is the perfect way to begin incorporating them into your meals!
- - 2 tbsp olive oil
- - 1.5 cups garlic scapes - roughly sliced; about 3 bunches or 20 scapes
- - 1 sweet onion - diced
- - 4 cups white potatoes - diced; about 8-10 mini potatoes or 1-2 russet potatoes
- - 1/4 tsp salt
- - 1/2 tsp black pepper
- - 4 cups vegetable stock
- - 1/4 cup sour cream - or plain Greek yogurt
- - Fresh herbs - for serving; dill or chives taste great
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic scapes and diced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the onion is tender.
2. Add the diced potatoes, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to a low boil/simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
3. Turn off heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer the soup in batches (very carefully) to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
4. Stir in the sour cream or yogurt and mix until melted. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a generous portion of fresh herbs, such as dill or chives. Enjoy warm!
June 13, 2021
Full disclosure, I altered the recipe a little. I used chicken broth instead (I prefer that flavor with potato soups) and didn't add any dairy at the end. My end result was a little thick but was absolutely delicious. I soaked my potatoes for a few hours after cubing and if I were to make this again I would boil them in water for 15 minutes before adding to the onions and scapes. I had to boil my soup for 30 minutes to get the potatoes softened enough and a good portion of my broth had boiled off. That would likely make the consistency better when not adding the extra dairy step. I made this for 1 person and had a bowl for dinner tonight, 3 lunch servings for this week and half went into the freezer.