Recipe Home > Main Dishes > Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
A hearty and satisfying meal for the entire family to enjoy!
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef, lamb or bison
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary or dried herb of choice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 oz. organic tomato paste (about 6 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 cup water
Sweet Potato Topping:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (~6 cups cubed)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add the ground beef, chopped carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms and minced garlic.
- Cook on medium heat until carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the topping while the meat filling cooks.
- Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, water, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- For the topping: Steam or bake (at 375℉) the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then add all of the topping ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. NOTE: If using white potatoes, we recommend mashing them by hand rather than blending to prevent them from getting pasty.
- Final step: Transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish (9 x 9 inch dish will work) or 10 inch cast iron skillet and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Dash with sea salt and chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
- SERVING SIZE: 1/4 OF RECIPE
- CALORIES: 394
- SUGAR: 17 G
- SODIUM: 350 MG
- FAT: 16 G
- CARBOHYDRATES: 40 G
- FIBER: 8 G
- PROTEIN: 26 G
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?