> Main Dishes
> Vegetarian Chili
Perfectly spiced, thick and hearty, and easy to make on the stovetop or in your slow cooker!
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted is great)
- 3/4 cup vegetarian broth (or water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 heaping cup frozen sweet corn
- To garnish:
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedge
- Sour cream/greek yogurt
Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in garlic, onion, diced carrot, red bell pepper, cubed sweet potatoes and green chiles; saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper; stir for about 30 seconds.
Finally add in crushed tomatoes, broth/water, black beans, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors come together. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary.
- Garnish with anything you'd like. Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?