Fruit is the perfect addition to savory grain salads. Here, mangoes and oranges add color and sweetness to the deep-purple hue of black rice.
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup (or more) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam; optional)
- 2 cups black rice (preferably Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice)
- Kosher salt
- 2 just-ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, minced
- Remove peel and white pith from oranges. Working over a medium bowl to catch juices and using a small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl. Squeeze membranes over bowl to release any juices. Strain juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; reserve orange segments.
- Add 1/4 cup lime juice, oil, and fish sauce (if using) to bowl with orange juice; whisk to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Bring rice and 2 3/4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Season lightly with salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing, and season lightly with salt; let cool.
- Place mangoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and more lime juice, if desired.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?