The intriguing combination of fruits in this summery salad—juicy peaches, crunchy cukes, and buttery avocado—is brought together with a dressing that combines the warm flavors of cardamom and clove with the heat of serrano chile.
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 serrano chile, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus leaves with tender stems for serving
- 3 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium Persian cucumbers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium yellow peaches, cut into 1–1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- A spice mill or mortar and pestle
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until golden brown and slightly puffed, 5–7 minutes; let cool. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil; season with salt.
- 2. Meanwhile, toast cardamom, clove, coriander, and cumin in a dry small skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove seeds from cardamom pod; discard pod. Finely grind seeds along with other spices in spice mill or with mortar and pestle. Mix in a large bowl with chile, garlic, parsley, chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 cup oil; season with salt. Add cucumber and toss. Let sit 5 minutes.
- 3. Add peaches, avocado, and half of the pumpkin seeds to cucumber mixture and season generously with salt; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and/or lemon juice.
- 4. Serve topped with sesame seeds, cilantro leaves, and remaining pumpkin seeds.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?