> Spicy Panzanella Salad
With the bread, tomato, and cucumber base, everything else is customizable!
- 2 small field cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 slices day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a few drops for the pan
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Chopped fresh herbs
- 1 peach, nectarine, or plum, diced (or 1 of each)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini or summer squash, diced
- Pitted olives
- Reserve about 2 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes for the dressing. Toss rest of tomatoes and cucumbers into a large bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss and set aside.
- For the Dressing: Heat a small saucepan over medium heat with a few drops of olive oil. Add jalapeño and sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Add the reserved chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon of water. Cook until the tomato juices release, another 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Finish the Dressing: Once water has evaporated, turn off heat and transfer mixture to a cutting board. Chop it very finely and transfer mixture back into the pan, with the heat off. Add lime juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir to combine, salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep the bread: If bread is hard, simply chop or tear into bite sized pieces. If bread is soft, either toast full slices of bread in a toaster and chop/tear afterward or toss previously chopped/torn pieces in a skillet over medium heat to toast.
- Add bread, herbs, various fruits, onion, zucchini/summer squash, olives, and dressing to the vegetables. Stir to combine. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the bread to soak some of the dressing, then serve.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?