> Yellow Squash Tots with Garlicky Yogurt Dip
These Yellow Squash Tots are perfect little veggie tots that use up a lot of yellow squash (or zucchini!). They’re so tasty, snackable, and are a great way to eat more veggies.
FOR THE TOTS:
- 3 small squashes or zucchini
- 1 eggs
- 4 oz grated cheddar cheese or other meltable cheese (about 1/2 cup grated)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: 2 tablespoons - 1/4 cup finely minced parsley leaves
FOR THE YOGURT DIP
- ⅓ cup unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice (from ½ lemon)
- 1 tsp finely minced parsley (or dill, or 1/2 tsp dried parsley or dill)
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper, or to taste
MAKE THE TOTS!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease it with olive oil).
- Grate the squash on a fine grater (or use a food processor). Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and mix it together. Put the grated squash in a colander (or use a cheesecloth, see notes). Let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Use your hands to squeeze all the extra liquid from the grated squash in the colander. You should have about 1 cup of liquid for every pound of squash you use. Discard the liquid.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. The mixture will be sticky and wet, like a thick paste. If it is too wet, add extra breadcrumbs. Form small tots with your hands (about 1.5-2 tablespoons squash mixture per tot). Tip: dip your hands into a bowl of cold water in between every few tots - this will help keep the squash mixture from sticking to your hands!
- Arrange the tots on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, or until golden on top and lightly browned on the bottom. Allow to rest 5 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet - this will help prevent them from sticking.
MAKE THE DIP!
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce while the tots are baking. Serve with warm tots as a dip!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?