> Side Dishes
> Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onion
This fried cabbage with bacon and onions recipe is salty, sweet, buttery, hearty, and so delicious!
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 head cabbage, diced
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- Cut bacon into thick chunks, pan fry until crunchy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat butter in large pan on medium-high heat until melted and foamy.
- Add diced onions to pan, cook until soft and transparent, about 4 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking or burning.
- Add garlic to pan, cook until fragrant and soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage to pan and toss well to coat in butter.
- Generously season with salt.
- Let cabbage reduce by half, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally as it cooks down to prevent burning and allow it to cook evenly. Add bacon back to pan.
- When cabbage has lost much of it's volume and started to turn shiny, slightly translucent, and has lovely browned bits, it is ready to serve.
- Serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days, three months in the freezer.
November 2, 2020
Used turkey bacon and a small amount of balsamic vinegar when served