Vegetarian Green Bean Casserole
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
This Vegetarian Green Bean Casserole hits the spot! It's an excellent side dish and tastes great with fresh, local green beans.
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Place the green beans in the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes, then place in an ice bath. Drain.
2. In an oven-safe skillet, heat up your butter over medium heat and add olive oil, garlic, and shallot. Add in salt in pepper, stir, and let cook for 2 minutes. Then, add in the mushrooms. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour into your skillet mix and stir. Allow that to cook for a few minutes, then begin adding in your vegetable stock, stirring as you pour.
4. Once all of the vegetable stock is added, begin pouring in the milk. Stir. Season with more salt and pepper, and bring the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat and add in your green beans and 1/2 of the fried onions. Stir, then add the rest of the fried onions on top. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?