Chicken Tortilla Soup
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
As colder weather creeps up on us, this is the perfect time to try some new warm and cozy soup recipes. This chicken tortilla soup features everything you love about Mexican food all in one delicious dish!
For the Tortilla strips:
- 10 small corn tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper (about 4 to 5 inches long), diced very small (include or discard the seeds based on preference)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 32 oz (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- two 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomato and juice
- one 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (use storebought rotisserie chicken to save time or roast/cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 1 and 1/2 cups corn
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- diced avocado for serving (optional)
- shredded cheese for serving (optional)
- sour cream for serving (optional)
To make the tortilla strips:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Loosely scatter the tortilla strips, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly sprinkle with kosher salt, toss with hands to coat evenly, and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden brown, set aside.
3. While strips bake, begin making the soup.
To make the soup:
1. To a large dutch oven or stockpot, add 2 tbsp olive oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
2. Add the onion, jalapeno, and saute for about 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
3. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
4. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and juice, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, 2 tsp salt, pepper, smoked paprika, optional cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil.
5. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 to 7 minutes. If at any point the overall liquid level looks low or you prefer your soup to have more broth, add 1 to 2 cups of water, you'll adjust the salt and seasoning levels at the end.
6. Add the cilantro and boil 1 minute
7. Taste the soup and add salt to taste. This will vary based on how salty the chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans, and chicken are, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments.
8. Ladle soup into bowls, top with tortilla strips to taste, optionally garnish with avocado, cheese and/or sour cream; serve immediately.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?