Classic Tomato Soup
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Tomato soup is such a childhood classic! This homemade version is quick, simple, and delicious. Try it out today with some grilled cheese sandwiches for a perfect dinner.
1/3 cup of unsalted butter, cut into 5 pieces
3 1/2 cups of chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
4 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 28-ounce cans of San Marzano tomatoes
3 basil springs
1 4-inch parmesan rind
2 teaspoons of granulated sugar, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heavy cream for serving (optional)
1. Melt butter in a large pot (6 quart) over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until slightly browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
3. While whisking slowly pour in chicken broth. Cook and whisk until flour has blended in, about 1 minute.
4. Add in tomatoes, basil, parmesan, sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a light simmer.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally (Scrape along the bottom of the pot when stirring). Cook for about 25 - 30 minutes until tomatoes start to break down.
6. Remove from heat. Remove basil sprigs and parmesan rind from soup then use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth.
7. Serve warm topping servings with a swirl of cream if desired and chopped basil.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?