Rich and Simple French Onion Soup957
0 made it | 957 reviews | 0 photos
Simple and delicious French Onion Soup the whole family will love.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 4 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 slices French bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8-quart stockpot on medium heat. Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
- Add beef broth, sherry, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). Layer each slice of bread with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on a cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.
No public reviews yet! Will you be the first?