Thick, cheesy and packed with loads of veggies!
- 1 (32 oz.) carton low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion, carrot and celery for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for another 1 minute, or until fragrant. Season with Italian seasoning, thyme, paprika, cayenne or chili powder, and salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken or veggie broth and stir in cubed potatoes. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are just fork tender.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower florets and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter and whisk in flour. Cook roux mixture for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, then whisk in milk.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and let thicken, stirring frequently. Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper, then whisk mixture into soup.
- Add cheese as well and stir until melted and smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowls, serve hot and enjoy!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?