> Grapefruit Poppy Seed Loaf Cake with Yogurt Glaze
A perfect anytime loaf cake with unexpected grapefruit flavor, made with oil so it keeps a long time and stays moist.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 tablespoon finely grated grapefruit zest
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 8 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2–inch loaf pan, preferably metal, with parchment paper, leaving overhang on the long sides, and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, work grapefruit zest into granulated sugar in a large bowl until sugar starts to clump and mixture is very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggs, oil, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until light and thick, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low and mix in half of dry ingredients, then mix in 3/4 cup yogurt. Mix in remaining dry ingredients followed by 5 Tbsp. grapefruit juice and 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake cake until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in top of cake and brush remaining 3 Tbsp. grapefruit juice over top. Let sit 15 minutes, then run a knife around sides to loosen and use parchment paper to lift cake out of pan and onto rack. Remove parchment and let cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar, remaining 1 Tbsp. yogurt, 1 tsp. water, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl until smooth and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and let sit until glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?