> Main Dishes
> Grilled-Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 medium tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds total), halved
- 1 shallot, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggplants (2 pounds total), cut lengthwise into 1-inch planks
- 1 pound fresh salted mozzarella, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 loaf rustic bread, such as ciabatta, for serving
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush cut sides of tomatoes and shallot with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill, cut-side down, until charred in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until vegetables soften slightly, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop and transfer to a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Brush both sides of eggplants with remaining 3 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until lightly charred in places and almost tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Top eggplants with mozzarella. Return to grill and cook, covered, until cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Top evenly with tomato mixture, sprinkle with basil, drizzle with oil, and serve with torn rustic bread.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?