Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Do you want a veggie boost? This hearty stew won't have you missing meat tonight! Served over creamy mashed potatoes, this accidentally vegan recipe will surely be a winner at dinnertime.
- 5 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 5 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 ½ cup Yukon gold or russet potatoes, cubed
- 20 oz button or cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley
- 2 ½ tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 4-5 cups yukon gold (or similar) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth or non-dairy milk
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a smaller pot over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until no lumps remain. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of vegetable broth and whisk until smooth.
- Once onions and garlic are softened, add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, green beans, peas, herbs, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and paprika to the pot and stir well. Add red wine and let simmer for a minute or two before adding in broth + flour mixture + remaining two cups of broth.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 ½-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Turn an entire head of garlic on its side and slice the top off, just enough to expose the cloves. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
- Wash, peel, and cube potatoes. Add to a large pot of boiling water, salted with 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Boil until tender - 15-20 minutes.
- Drain water from potatoes and add to a large bowl. Mash well.
- Stir in butter, broth or milk, salt, roasted garlic, and chives. Taste and adjust salt + butter as needed.
- Serve stew over mashed potatoes and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?