One of our favorites from Tasty for Meatless Monday. We love that this meal is packed with Mexican flavors, made even better by local peppers, onion, and garlic! We also just love watching Tasty's recipe videos.
4 large bell peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups vegetable stock
15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed, 1 can
1 cup corn
1 cup shredded cheese
½ cup enchilada sauce, or salsa
guacamole (We have a great one under Dips)
1) Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
2) Wash and dry the peppers.
3) Using a sharp knife, take off their tops and remove the seeds and pith.
4) Arrange the peppers in an oven-safe dish so that they stand upright.
5) Bake the peppers for 20 minutes.
6) While the peppers are baking, begin cooking the quinoa.
7) Add olive oil to a medium-sized pot or dutch oven with a lid. Add onion and cook over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes, or until starting to become tender.
8) Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
9) Add spices and quinoa. Sauté the quinoa for 1-2 minutes before adding the the vegetable stock.
10) Add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat for 2 minutes.
11) Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and has absorbed all the remaining liquid.
12) Remove the pot from the heat and add in the beans, corn, cheese, and enchilada sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly.
13) Spoon the quinoa mixture into the pre-baked peppers, being sure to press the mixture firmly into the peppers.
14) Generously top with cheese and return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
15) Allow the peppers to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with toppings of your choice.