Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
This creamy soup is certainly crave-worthy! With heaps of cheddar cheese and tender broccoli, everyone will be excited to see this soup on the table tonight. To make it your own, top the soup with croutons, store-bought or homemade!
1 tbsp of butter
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup of salted butter
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups of half and half
12 ounces of fresh broccoli, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
2 cups of cheddar cheese, grated
1. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until onions are soft and translucent about 2-3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of butter to dutch oven, still over medium heat. When melted, add the flour and whisk together. Cook mixture for about 1 minute, whisking often.
2. Slowly pour in about a cup of chicken or vegetable broth, whisking as you pour. Continue with remaining chicken or vegetable broth and half and half, pouring slowly and whisking as you pour.
3. Let broth and half and half mixture cook for a minute or two, whisking often, making no flour lumps remain.
4. Add the broccoli and carrots and stir to combine. Add the paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, and pepper, and stir. Reduce heat to low/medium-low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until thickened and broccoli/carrots are fork-tender. If soup gets too thick for your liking, add in a splash of chicken or vegetable broth or half and half to loosen it up.
5. Blend the soup until desired texture is reached, using either an immersion blender or by transferring the soup to a traditional blender.
6. Add grated cheddar cheese a handful at a time, stirring to melt the cheese into the soup after each handful. Taste the soup and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
7. Serve hot with additional cheddar cheese on top, if desired.
No public reviews yet! Will you be the first?